Search the Site
Create a Site
Read the News
Public Liability Insurance
Free Public Liability Insurance (PLI) has been arranged to provide relevant cover for all schemes and Neighbourhood and Home Watch (NHW) volunteers so that they may carry out their roles without fear of personal loss across England and Wales. The policy will start on the 1st April 2012 and will run until the 31st March 2013. Towergate Insurance is the broker and Aviva is the insurer.
The policy covers any scheme registered with an Authority recognised or verified by the Neighbourhood and Home Watch Network. This includes the police service, the local authority or constituted NHW Associations. As long as a scheme is registered and recognised by the local police it is automatically covered by the PLI.
What is covered?
• If any of your activities cause injury to third parties or damage to third party property the insurer will cover claims arising for up to £5 million per claim occurring during the insured period.
• The insurance applies for activities which are undertaken with your full knowledge, authority and under your control in line with good practice procedures and adhering to all relevant local policies and practices.
• The erection and maintenance of signs and posters, including whilst erecting, is covered providing that the lower edge of the sign is not less than 2.1 metres above the footway.
• Street parties are covered provided they are not prohibited by any exclusion criteria.
• The cover also includes other wider Watches and Junior NHW if incorporated into a NHW Scheme or Association and local policies and practices are adhered to.
• There is no age restriction (upper or lower) placed on the cover.
A summary of the policy can be found at:
FAQs are answered at:
Graphic version of this page